It’s no secret, people like to kill zombies, but how would they fair staring down a massive hoard of them barreling towards them like a tsunami of bloody flesh and nightmare fuel? Well, now you can in World War Z: Aftermath. A big thanks to Saber Interactive for the opportunity to try out this game! The game takes place in the same universe as Paramount Picture’s film World War Z where players team up to survive the massive hoard of zombies.
It should be noted that World War Z: Aftermath is an addition to the main game and not a standalone story. Aftermath features new characters and two new levels, Rome and Russia’s Kamchatka peninsula. The biggest addition to the game is the option to have the game in First-Person, which added a whole new dynamic to the intensity of the game.
I have not played the game before now and after a few hours going solo with AI teammates; this is a bit more intense than other games like it that I’ve played, especially with the first-person view. I think returning players would enjoy the changes made to the game and the addition of new characters to explore. Nothing against the new characters that were added to the game’s story, I just wish as a nod to the film that they put Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt’s character from the film) in the game.
I’ll include the key features of what returning players are expecting to see, but overall I had fun playing World War Z: Aftermath and exploring the world and its characters. If you’re a fan of Left 4 Dead and Aliens: Fireteam Elite, you’ll most likely enjoy this game as well. Replay value is high for first-time players as there are a lot of points to earn and a lot of things to unlock and buy (in-game purchases thank god). On my scale of 1-10, I give Aftermath an 8.
World War Z: Aftermath is out now for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC with the game getting upgraded for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S later on.
- New Battles from a World at War: Fend for your life and make a stand against the swarm in two thrilling new story episodes — take back Vatican City in an epic confrontation in Rome, and join forces with survivors in Russia’s snowbound Kamchatka region.
- New Ways to Fight: Decimate the undead with a brutal new melee system featuring two-handed and dual-wield weapons like the sickle, cleaver, fire axe and sledgehammer, and experience the heart-pounding immersion of Aftermath’s optional first-person mode.
- Deep Hero Progression: Level up eight unique classes, each with their own perks, including the new Vanguard class, armed with an electrified shield that can plow through the horde with devastating efficiency. Customize your weapons and conquer new daily missions with special modifiers for bonus rewards.
- The Complete World War Z Experience: Aftermath includes all content from World War Z: Game of the Year Edition, including full episodes in New York, Moscow, Marseille, Jerusalem and Tokyo.
- Play With Friends Anywhere: Aftermath supports up to four-player co-op with full cross-play between consoles and PC, including the Epic Games Store and Steam.
- The Next Generation of Zombie Action: Play in glorious 4K|60 FPS on next-gen systems. Endure hundreds more zombies on screen than ever before possible in the new Horde Mode XL, coming exclusively to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S in a free post-launch update.